Thursday, March 7, 2013

Apparently I'm a big boy

My husband and I love the fact that our three year old's language skills are improving everyday. I love the way he tries so hard to use words and phrases correctly, but makes really funny mistakes.

Last night my son wanted to play puzzles with me. We have these 12 piece Melissa and Doug puzzles that come in packs of four that he has loved since he was about 2 years old. He has the dinosaur puzzles and the vehicle puzzles.

He asked me to "take turns" with the puzzles, explaining that he wanted to do a puzzle then it would be my turn. When it was my turn I started my puzzle then asked if he wanted to help me fit the pieces together. He said, "Mama you don't need help, you a big boy."

For any readers who do not know, I am most definitely not a boy. But gender doesn't make much sense to three year olds and the whole "his" and "her" vocabulary mystifies my son.

Looking at the world through my son's eyes it makes perfect sense that to him "big boy" is a phrase which means "you can do something by yourself". I am constantly telling him big boys get dressed by themselves, big boys go on the potty, big boys put on their own shoes, etc. It just cracks me up how his brain synthesizes this stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment