Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nursing Bras - do not make the mistake I made

Before our baby was born my husband and I went to a childbirth class which was generally pretty good except for one piece of advice the instructor gave us mamas. She said don't go buy a nursing bra now, wait until a couple weeks after the baby is born so you know what size your breasts will be when you are nursing. 


So I am sure this is great advice if you have time to go on a leisurely shopping trip looking for bras when your baby is 2 weeks old! Maybe if you have family who can babysit this would work for you, or maybe if you have one of those babies who are content to sleep in their carseat/stroller as you shop then this would work... or maybe not.


Reasons to buy a couple of nursing bras before your baby is born:
  1. take it from me you do not want to spend 2 weeks trying to figure out how to nurse your baby in your old bras which are now too small
  2. see above, some babies are not going to tolerate a shopping expedition at two weeks old
  3. even if your baby would be happy to shop with you I am sure you have better things to do, like rest and recover from your baby's birth
  4. most bras that you buy ahead or time can be returned if the size is an issue
I bought a few bras for nursing and here are my thoughts:
  • Medela sleep bra - not so great, started to fray pretty quickly and very thin fabric. 
  • I bought a couple bras at Target that do not have a brand name (that I can see), but worked really well.
  • what worked out best for me was nursing tank tops that I bought from Target. Big busted ladies this might not be enough support for you, but for me it was perfect and I still sleep in them.
It did take me until my baby was 10 months old to realize that I could just use a large sports bra that is very stretchy as a nursing bra. It is stretchy enough to pull it up from the bottom or down from the top - and much cheaper than most official "nursing" bras.


Make sure you get some nursing pads before your baby arrives as well, leaky boobs are just no fun.


I used these fancy disposable pads by Lansinoh before I discovered that you could buy cloth/washable pads (mine are made by Nuk) which work just as well and reduce trash! I am sure crafty mamas could make their own nursing pads out of cloth. 

The panty liner trick:
In case you get in a tight spot and don't have any nursing pads on hand here is a trick I discovered. Take a panty liner cut it in half and stick it to the inside of my bra.

No comments:

Post a Comment