Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Babywearing - Moby Wrap review

So I have already written about how babywearing changed my life, I thought I should review different carriers, starting with the Moby Wrap.



We heard rave reviews of the Moby wrap from friends, the instructor at our childbirth class, and even the instructor of a baby care class we took in the hospital the day after our son was born. Being cynical people my husband and I were skeptical that any product could be that revolutionary. We even joked that the company that makes these wraps must be giving these people a commission if they can sell more of them. Well we were wrong...

It does take a day or two of practice to learn how to tie the wrap around your body. The first time I saw a friend do it I thought it looked ridiculously complicated, but surprisingly after doing it two or three times it becomes second nature. However, once you master that the rest is pretty easy.

Newborns love to sleep in these wraps. My husband and I both wore our son constantly for the first three months of his life. This was the only way we could guarantee he would fall asleep.

Our preferred position for him as a newborn was the hug hold and also a variation on this where his side was against my chest rather than his tummy. We generally put him in the Moby wrap already swaddled. If he was in a really deep sleep in the Moby Wrap we often would be able to remove him from the wrap and put him down for a nap in his bouncy chair. Sometimes we just continued to wear him while he slept and we did whatever we wanted: watched movies, ate meals, cleaned the house. I also often fell asleep on the couch in a sort of semi-sitting position while my son was asleep wrapped around me. For the first few months with a newborn this was a lifesaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment