Monday, March 28, 2011

Egg allergy

My poor boy is allergic to eggs, and I am hoping he will outgrow it. Apparently most kids outgrow egg allergies by the time they start school. Anyone else have experience with this? If so please leave a comment and let me know what happened.

My son has had eggs twice, once when he was 9 months old to see if he was allergic and once by accident when he was 12 months old and both times he ended up with red spots on his face wherever his skin made contact with egg. On both occasions the symptoms disappeared in about 20 minutes.

Fortunately this is a pretty mild allergic reaction, as far as allergies go. And he does not seem to be allergic to eggs in baked products (like cookies, breads, etc.). However, we have steered clear of most things containing eggs to be on the safe side.

Ground Flax-seed is a really nice alternative to egg for anyone looking to cook for someone with allergies and it is really good for you as well. All you do is mix 1 tablespoon flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water and use that to substitute for one egg.

I am still hoping my son will outgrow this allergy as I want him to be able to enjoy all the yummy eggy foods that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment