Thursday, February 10, 2011

Milestone charts

Like most parents I go through times when I become worried that my son is falling behind and not meeting "milestones" like the other kids. Poor kid, who knew the rat race started so early?

Babycenter has a pretty helpful little chart that explains when certain skills develop in toddlers (13-18 months) and a couple other charts for the infants (1-6 months and 6-12 months). See all their charts here.

I like that they have divided their charts into three columns for each month:
  1. Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
  2. Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
  3. Advanced Skills (a few kids can do) 
I think it helpful for parents to realize that there is a lot of variation in when kids develop different skills. I am particularly hoping that my son will skip one skill that is included under 15 months "Adopts "no" as his favorite word"!

My son did not really start sitting up without support until 6 months, he did not start crawling until 10 months, and did not take steps on his own until he was 1 year. Now he is 14 months old and has just transitioned to the point where he is walking more than crawling. I was so excited for him to walk and now I am both happy and sad he is growing up so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment