Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baby teethbrushing

My fourteen month old son used to scream bloody murder every night when we tried to brush his teeth. I am writing this post to inspire other parents who wonder if the horrendous ear splitting baby screams during teeth brushing will ever end.

He did not start out this way. He started getting teeth at about seven months and for the first few months he would let me brush them lightly with a cloth or a baby toothbrush. But along with the attitude he developed at about twelve months old he decided he did not have to tolerate this kind of invasive behavior any more. So we battled on through and tooth-brushing was literally the most difficult part of our day for a long time. But now finally it seems like the tide may have turned. However, I won't hold my breath. This could just be a phase. I know one of my husband's co-workers literally has to threaten her young children with putting them in a headlock to brush their teeth if they do not do it themselves. Things might also go downhill for us. I would not worry so much but my son has a tendency to get a visible buildup of food stuck between his bottom teeth and I do not want him to start out his life with cavities!

Here is some great advice about tooth-brushing for toddlers that do not like it (I'm guessing this represents the majority of the toddler population). This advice was passed along to me by knowledgeable parents and it has made a big difference.
  1. contain that squirmy kid - try brushing teeth when they are strapped into their high-chair
  2. try using that baby Orajel toothpaste that has a sort of yummy sticky sweet taste
  3. use a baby toothbrush - do not use one of those rubber brushes that you stick over the end of your finger - unless you like having your fingers chomped on by very sharp toddler teeth
Use this yummy toothpaste but do not use the rubber finger brush thingy with a baby with top and bottom teeth unless you want to feel excruciating pain.
My son is still pretty cranky about the whole teeth brushing thing, but at least he doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood. He is in a good mood until I approach with the toothbrush then he throws himself forward trying to escape the highchair. Then he passively accepts his fate as I use one hand to cup his head from behind to keep him still and then use the other hand to brush his teeth.

Of course by brushing his teeth I do not mean two minutes of good solid brushing motions, or whatever it is adults are supposed to achieve. I mean about fifteen seconds of trying to make the toothbrush bristles connect with his four upper teeth and four bottom teeth while he tries to clamp his lips down to stop me. But still this is progress and now that he is no longer yelling so much I am feeling victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment