Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Babywearing - a lifesaver for parents with newborns

If I had to pick a single thing that made my life easier during my son's newborn phase it would be owning a good baby carrier and using it all the time: babywearing

If you have ever tried to do basic things (i.e. talk on the phone) while holding a newborn then you understand how babies can turn even the most simple tasks into juggling acts. While babywearing even relatively advanced tasks such as eating a meal, typing emails, and going to the bathroom can be performed with ease. Babywearing is often the fastest way to get newborns to fall asleep; they love being held tight against you and walked around. Once asleep you can either keep them in the carrier or very carefully take them out and lie them down somewhere else.

If you are going shopping and have a baby who hates being in the carseat or stroller then toss that baby into a carrier and shop while he peacefully sleeps. I can not tell you how many times I have been out on errands and women (generally older women) would come up to me and tell me how wonderful it was that I was wearing my baby and how they wish that they had carriers like that when they had their children.

Seven months old and still loving the ring sling
Here is a list of the baby carriers I have used:
  • Moby wrap - great for newborns although it takes a day or two or practicing to figure out how to use it. One of my best friends and mommy mentors recommended this and it was a life saver!
  • Sweet Pea Ring Sling - unfortunately I did not buy this until my son was around 3 months old but I think it would have been excellent for him as a newborn. However, it was not a favorite with my husband - too girlie for him to wear.
  • Balboa - Dr Sears Sling - this was probably my least favorite of our carriers, but we used it a lot because we bought it before we discovered the ring sling or the Ergo. It was good for getting our baby to sleep for naps/night time.
  • Ergo baby carrier - after our son was about 4 months old this became the primary carrier we used, it is very very comfortable when carrying older/heavier babies and my husband likes wearing it! In fact we have one photo of him wearing it that I think the Ergo people should include in their catalog. 
Ergo action shot, hood over sleeping baby's head.
If you have a baby that is "colicky" or "high needs" (more on this topic later) then I would make the argument that a good baby carrier is worth its weight in gold. For a long time the only way my son would nap for more than twenty minutes at a time was if he was in a baby carrier and attached to one of his parents. Even if you have your run of the mill non-colicky baby I think most babies are happier being carried especially as newborns so a baby carrier can make for a happier baby which makes for a happier mom and a happier family.

Here is the formula: happy baby = happy mom = happy family!


Websites with great information on babywearing options:

    No comments:

    Post a Comment