Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Toddler rainy day activities: SesameStreet.org

Okay, since leaving San Diego with it's 364 annual days of sunshine I have had to deal with a totally foreign issue: how to entertain my toddler on rainy days.

Now I don't live in Seattle, but it's rainy enough in the Bay Area that this has become an issue. Coupled with the fact that I have a very very active boy who is not the type of entertain himself for more than five minutes at a time this problem has forced me to be more creative.

It was raining earlier this week and we stumbled onto SesameStreet.org. To my son with his "O" (short for Elmo) obsession this website is like manna from heaven. They even have a playlist that is all Elmo so your toddler does not have to face the frustration of being deprived of this red furry monster for even a moment.


One of the cool things we found was a virtual coloring book that allows you to print blank pages to color in, or color them in online with their brush tool. Since it was Valentine's Day we made this little picture.
Made by a two year old, with a little help.

Of course even Sesame Street and Elmo only entertain for so long. Some other things my son enjoys are playing with stamps, "coloring" in his coloring book, finger painting, helping me do laundry, helping me cook, and of course zooming around on his ride-on McQueen car, and watching the movie Cars whenever I let him. I would love to hear from parents of other toddlers (preferably toddlers who are not big at playing by themselves) on how they make the hours pass on those long rainy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment