Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The first haircut photo

So my son had his first professional hair cut at 18 months so he looked presentable for his Aunt's wedding. I have seen photos of other kids about his age getting their hair cut on Facebook and in other places. They are happy kids sitting calmly in a chair, or even if they are not happy they are not trying to claw their way out of the chair. I knew that my son was never going to be one of those kids.

Sad, pathetic, miserable boy
Now I am going to show you something most people do not post online - a photo of their child being extremely unhappy and crying while trying to escape a haircut. I think I am doing other parents a favor by showing the dark side of hair cuts. Not every toddler sits placidly while a stranger takes sharp objects and buzzing machines and touches their head with them.

The stylist who cut my son's hair was a saint with superhuman patience and courage. The whole salon was entertained by his crying and frantic attempts to escape my arms. One good samaritan told me that I really needed a photo of this event for posterity, and so I gave him my cell phone and voila: the moment is frozen in time.

When I look through photos of my son, in about 99% of them he is calm and very happy. But other parents know this is not exactly representative of toddler behavior. I tend to grab the camera when he is being irresistibly adorable or silly. But I rarely have an impulse to grab the camera when he is kicking and screaming. Maybe we should take more photos of the bad times and post them on the internet. At the very least it will make other parents realize that they are not alone!

After the haircut - happy once again

No comments:

Post a Comment