Tuesday, December 14, 2010

One Year down! Thanks to my mommy friends

Well my son turned one year old last week. Bye-bye baby, hello little toddler boy!

I could never have made it through this year without all the love, support, and advice I received from my friends who are also mommies (and some who are not yet mommies). So I thought I would write a blog post about how important it is as a new parent to have friends who are also parents and can understand what you are going through and provide support and advice.

Thank you to all the experienced moms (and dads) out there who take the time to help us newbies!
Thanks for your wisdom, sympathy, product reviews, long conversations, hand-me-downs, diaper changes, humor, home-cooked meals, and general camaraderie.

As one of my best friends (who is also my mommy-mentor) said to me and my husband right after my son was born "Welcome to the we don't know what the hell we are doing club". She was right, life has been wild since he was born, but it has been so much fun.

A big thank you to my mommy-mentor (she knows who she is) who has been there throughout my whole pregnancy, and the whole first year. She lets me vent to her about everything baby related and has been the source of most of the really useful advice I have received. She was the perfect person to vent to about colicky baby stress since she survived it herself! Thanks again for telling me to do the Ferber sleep training!!! Everybody with a new baby should be so lucky as to have a mommy-mentor-friend like you :)

Of course some people who are not yet or never will be parents are still the most helpful and supportive when you are in your sleep-deprived, clueless, new-parent stupor. One friend in particular brought us lots of yummy meals so that we did not have to cook much in the week after our son was born (and even when he was older and we were perfectly capable of cooking). She is going to be a mommy this spring and hopefully I can return the favor!

Thank you to everyone who helps new parents you make a huge difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment